New WE Position Paper for a Water-Smart Nutrient Management Action Plan
In the context of the public consultation on Nutrients – action plan for better management, Water Europe released a policy-oriented paper to encourage a water-smart Nutrient management action plan. The water sector and particularly the utilities are key actors to recycle and recover nutrients but it needs to be supported by:
- Raising Awareness through efficient monitoring to better understand the impact of nutrients on water and our environment
- Reducing nutrients uses with targets and a clear framework for legislative clarity, that includes to:
- Close the nutrient cycle to stop nutrient loss, recover and recycle through nature base solutions for instance
- Reduce the exploitation of natural (virgin) resources to reduce the dependency of importations
- Enable recovery and recycling of materials with good quality and efficient function suitable for their applications
Have a look to Water Europe policy-oriented paper here and all the different related projects.