Roundtable on Financing Water: Driving Climate Action on 23-24 September 2021
The United States mission to OECD and the OECD Secretariat will host the Roundtable on Financing Water thematic meeting focused on climate action. The meeting will be held virtually on 23-24 September 2021 from 13h30-16h30 (CET).
In the lead up to the OECD Ministerial Council Meeting and the UNFCCC COP 26, this meeting is being organised in partnership with the OECD and the U.S. Government, notably the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. It aims to:
▶ Strengthen the awareness and understanding among policy makers and financiers of the linkages between water security, climate action and finance, including:
– How physical climate risks often manifest through water (e.g. floods, water scarcity and droughts, rainfall variability and degraded water quality).
– How water-related physical risks can translate into material financial risks and the extent to which the prudential regulation and financial system risk management frameworks take such risks into account.
– How climate and water-related considerations can be integrated in investment and financing decision.
▶ Showcase good practices and inspiring examples of financing and investment that can mobilise and align financing with water security and climate action.
▶ Highlight opportunities for investments that contribute to water security and climate action (mitigation, adaptation and resilience) and broader policy objectives including environmental justice and women’s empowerment.
A draft agenda is available on the meeting webpage. Sessions will focus on:
– Putting finance to work for a net zero, resilient and water secure future;
– Water as a lever for climate action: The investment opportunity;
– Climate risks manifesting through water: Understanding financial materiality;
– Climate resilient investments in water security: Contributing to environmental justice and women’s empowerment.